Many supplies, besides catheters, are commonly used by those who cath frequently. Catheter kits can come in handy to simplify the cathing process and allow for easy insertion and drainage anywhere and at any time needed.
But what are catheter kits exactly? And, is the addition of a catheter kit into your daily use right for you? We’ll take a closer look at catheter kits in this blog and explore their benefits to help you decide.
What Are Catheter Kits?
Catheter kits, also called insertion trays, include everything you or your caregiver need to insert catheters for proper bladder drainage. These kits contain various supplies and can come with or without catheters.
What Are The Benefits Of Catheter Kits?
When it comes to catheterization, convenience is vital. And catheter kits are a good choice if you’re looking to maximize your comfort when cathing. Some of the most common benefits users of catheter kits experience can include the following:
- Conveniently Integrated Collection Bags: Lubrication is already present as the catheter is already attached, and less hands-on touching is needed for insertion, reducing bacteria. Catheter kits already connect the urine drainage bag to the catheter.
- Decreased Bacterial Exposure: Often, fewer UTIs are reported by those using catheter kits. Due to the pre-lubricated closed systems and flexible insertion tips included in most kits, there’s less risk of bacteria entering the urethra and causing an infection.
- Easy Supply Maintenance: Because everything you need is included in catheter kits, keeping track of your supplies has never been easier! Tracking individual supply quantities can be difficult, but with these kits, you reduce your supply maintenance to one item that includes everything.
- Enhanced Privacy: Many catheter users prefer catheter kits simply for their easily transportable features, which allow for more privacy and faster cathing. Merely grab your catheter kit and go.
- Increased Independence: For those who have spinal cord or other injuries, many catheter kits offer helpful features, such as easy grips for independent catheter insertion.
- Simple Lubrication: Because most catheters inside catheter kits are pre-lubricated, it saves users the time and hassle of lubricating the catheter separately; this enables faster and more convenient cathing wherever you are.
What Is In A Catheter Kit?
Only some catheter kits include the same items. It would help if you discussed the essential catheter supplies for your care with your healthcare provider. Once you’ve done this, the experts at Active Life Medical can help locate the suitable kit for your needs.
Catheter kits can include, but will vary:
- 10 mL Sterile Water Syringes
- A Disposable Underpad
- Antiseptic Iodine Swabsticks
- Antiseptic Wipes
- Catheters (Foley, Intermittent, External)
- CSR Wrap
- Fenestrate Drape
- Graduated Basin
- Lubricating Jelly
- Sterile Gloves
- Urine Collection Bag
Is A Catheter Kit Right For Me?
It’s important to discuss with your healthcare provider if a catheter kit is suitable for your catheterization needs. You may consider using a catheter kit if:
- If keeping track of independent supplies is proving problematic.
- If you have a history of UTIs from catheter usage, seek a more sterile, bacteria-reducing solution.
- If you’re cathing daily and looking for a more convenient on-the-go solution.
- You require a cathing option that is more conducive to an independent lifestyle.
Are There Risks To Using A Kit For Catheters?
Like any other medical device, catheters also have warning signs. Cathing issues can arise from too much bacteria, incorrect insertion of your catheter, too little lubrication, forceful insertion, and more.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you must contact your physician right away:
- Bleeding around or inside the catheter
- Recurring bladder spasms
- Sediment inside the catheter bag
- Skin sores or lesions around the catheter
- Strong-smelling, thick, or cloudy urine
- Too little urine output
- Urethral swelling
- Urine leakage around the site of the catheter
If symptoms like those mentioned above are left unchecked, they can lead to more severe complications, such as:
- Bladder cancer
- Bladder stones
- Blood in the urine
- Blood infections
- Injury to your urethra
- Kidney damage
- Kidney infections
Treating or addressing the abovementioned symptoms can often avoid complications or long-term problems. It would help to involve your physician or healthcare provider directly at the first sign of trouble.
Will My Insurance Cover This?
Most insurances nationwide cover catheter kits when prescribed and medically necessary. Suppose you have questions regarding your insurance coverage, or want to find out how you can get your catheters covered by your insurance. In that case, speaking to medical insurance experts, like those at Active Life Medical, can help you obtain your catheter kits at little to no cost.
How Active Life Medical Products Can Help With Catheter Supplies
You need a trusted catheter product supplier when you require catheter supplies. Active Life Medical Products makes ordering the entire catheter supply process easy. Our Product Specialists can help you get your prescribed catheter covered through most insurances. Everything will be delivered directly and discreetly to your front door.
Call Active Life Medical Products at (800) 319-2336 to place your order.