What Is a Catheter Kit?September 26, 2021 2021-10-04 12:34
What Is a Catheter Kit?
What Is a Catheter Kit?
For those who cath frequently, it comes as no surprise that there are a number of supplies (besides catheters) that are commonly used in the process. This is where catheter kits can come in handy to simplify the cathing process and allow for easy insertion and drainage anywhere and any time that it’s needed.
But, what are catheter kits exactly? And, is the addition of a catheter kit into your daily use right for you? We’ll take a closer look at catheter kits in this blog and explore their benefits to help you decide.
What Are Catheter Kits?
Catheter kits, also referred to as insertion trays, include everything you or your caregiver needs to effectively insert catheters for proper bladder drainage. These kits can include a variety of different supplies, and can come with or without catheters.
What Are the Benefits of Catheter Kits?
When it comes to catheterization, convenience is key. And if you’re looking to maximize your convenience when cathing, catheter kits are a good choice. Some of the most common benefits users of catheter kits experience can include:
- Easy Supply Maintenance: Because everything you need is included in catheter kits, keeping track of your supplies has never been easier! Tracking individual supply quantities can be difficult, but with these kits you reduce your supply maintenance to one item that includes everything.
- Conveniently Integrated Collection Bags: With catheter kits, the urine drainage bag comes already connected to the catheter. This can be extremely helpful because the catheter is already attached, lubrication is already in place, and less hands-on touching is required for insertion, thus reducing bacteria.
- Simple Lubrication: Because most of the catheters inside catheter kits are pre-lubricated, it saves users the time and hassle of having to separately lubricate the catheter; this enables faster and more convenient cathing wherever you are.
- Enhanced Privacy: Many catheter users prefer catheter kits simply for their easily transportable features, which allow for more privacy and faster cathing. Simply grab your catheter kit and go
- Increased Independence: For those who have spinal cord or other injuries, many catheter kits offer helpful features, such as easy grips for independent catheter insertion.
- Decreased Bacterial Exposure: Often times, less UTIs are reported by those using catheter kits. Due to the prel-lubricated closed systems and flexible insertion tips included in most kits, there’s less risk of bacteria entering the urethra and causing an infection.
What Is Included In a Kit?
Not all catheter kits include the same items. It’s important that you discuss with your healthcare provider the catheter supplies that are essential to your care. Once you’ve done this, the experts at Active Life Medical can help locate the right kit for your needs.
Catheter kits can include (but will vary):
- Catheters (Foley, Intermittent, External)
- Lubricating Jelly
- Sterile Gloves
- A Disposable Underpad
- Antiseptic Wipes
- Graduated Basin
- Antiseptic Iodine Swabsticks
- Urine Collection Bag
- Fenestrate Drape
- CSR Wrap
- 10 mL Sterile Water Syringes
Request a catheter kit today. Complete the form below to get started!
Is a Catheter Kit Right for Me?
It’s important to discuss with your healthcare provider if a catheter kit is right for your catheterization needs. You may consider using a catheter kit if:
- You’re in need of a cathing option that is more conducive to an independent lifestyle.
- If keeping track of independent supplies is proving problematic.
- If you have a history of UTIs from catheter usage and are seeking a more sterile, bacteria-reducing solution.
- If you’re cathing daily and looking for a more convenient on-the-go solution.
Are There Risks to Using a Kit for Catheters?
Just as with using any catheters, there are certain warning signs for potential problems you’ll need to pay attention to. Cathing issues can arise from things like the introduction of too much bacteria, incorrect insertion of your catheter, too little lubrication, forceful insertion, and more.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, it’s important that you contact your physician right away:
- Skin sores or lesions around the catheter
- Bleeding around or inside the catheter
- Recurring bladder spasms
- Sediment inside the catheter bag
- Urethral swelling
- Strong smelling, thick, or cloudy urine
- Too little urine output
- Urine leakage around the site of the catheter
If symptoms, like those mentioned above, are left unchecked, they can lead to more serious complications, such as:
- Bladder stones
- Injury to your urethra
- Kidney infections
- Blood infections
- Kidney damage
- Bladder cancer
- Blood in the urine
When treated or addressed right away, complications or long-lasting issues resulting from any of the symptoms mentioned above can often be avoided. It’s important that you involve your physician or healthcare provider right away at the first sign of trouble.
Will My Insurance Cover This?
Most insurances nationwide will cover catheter kits when they are prescribed and medically necessary. If you have questions regarding your insurance coverage, or want to find out how you can get your catheters covered by your insurance, it can be helpful to speak to medical insurance experts, like those at Active Life Medical, who can help you obtain your catheter kits at little to no cost to you.
How Can Active Life Medical Help?
Here at Active Life Medical, we strive to make the entire cathing process easy for you, from a-to-z. Active Life Medical’s team of catheter and medical insurance experts are here to answer any of your catheter questions and can walk you through the process of getting your catheter supplies billed directly and accurately to your insurance. When you choose Active Life for your catheter needs, you bypass the headaches that often come with navigating getting your catheter supplies covered independently or through other medical providers. We strive to make the entire process easy and hassle-free by collecting necessary paperwork from your doctors, coordinating billing with your insurance, and delivering your necessary catheters discreetly right to the convenience of your doorstep – all of this done quickly and with your schedule in mind. Plus, we have one of the largest selections of catheters in the industry and only work with top brands, which helps ensure you get the catheters your need and trust.
Your in good hands with Active Life – Give us a call at 800-319-2336 today. We’ll take care of everything.